Sino Iron is the largest magnetite mining and downstream processing operation in Australia, located 100km Southwest of Karratha in the mining hub of the Pilbara.
Our fully integrated operation features an open pit mine serviced by the biggest haul trucks in the world, a six-line concentrator and port terminal facilities at nearby Cape Preston. Our state-of-the-art power station and desalination plant are among the largest in the State.
CITIC Pacific Mining is seeking a Geotechnical Engineer to join our Site based team to help develop Australia’s largest Magnetite mine. This permanent role is site based on an 8/6 roster, FIFO from Perth.
Reporting to the Principal Geotechnical Engineer the primary work responsibilities will include:
- Regular geotechnical inspections
- Geotechnical pit mapping and Pit structure analysis
- Keeping the prism monitoring system operating and analysis of prism data
- Conducting geotechnical hazard identification risk assessments, monitor rock deformations
- Geotechnical data collection, diamond core logging, sample collection, testing and interpretation
- Data validation and QA/QC with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Wall depressurization investigations
- Input to blast designs for stable slopes
- Conducting reviews of slope performance focussing on rock mechanics issues and reconciliation between pit design and pit construction
- Contractor management and supervision for geotechnical drilling
- Legislative compliance with the DMIRS health and safety acts
You will be responsible for developing strong professional relationships within the mine operations team, between the mine management, geologist’s, mine planners, mining engineers, drill and blast as well as production personnel.
As the successful candidate you’ll have the following:
- Tertiary qualification in Mining Engineering and/or Geotechnical / Geological Engineering
- A minimum of three years’ experience in large open pit mining operations.
- Be familiar with Adam 3D photography & I-Site laser scanning.
- Be familiar with Vulcan Mining and Rocscience Software as well as Acquire Database
- Have experience undertaking geotechnical analysis utilising Rock Mass Classification systems, structure analysis, failure mode and slope stability analysis.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and be able to demonstrate good time management and organisational skills.
- Have experience in logging soil and rock conditions as per Australian Standards
The successful applicant must have a strong sense of commitment to the environment and to occupational health and safety, have a willingness to learn and the ability to work successfully in a dynamic, driven team environment.
What We Offer
As an employee of CPM, we offer a range of benefits including leave benefits, personal and family benefits, education and training, salary sacrifice options, and lifestyle benefits through preferred suppliers.
- Competitive remuneration packages.
- Career progression and industry training programs.
- Life and salary continuance insurance.
- Salary packaging options.
- Access to the Alliance Airlines Lounge.
The village features three gyms, a swimming pool, multi-purpose sports courts, a retail store, tavern with beer garden, dining, and recreation room.
Take advantage of the free Wi-Fi internet access to all rooms, in-house entertainment with FOXTEL and a regular schedule of entertainers including bands and sporting professional.
- Shortlisting for this position will commence immediately.
- We reserve the right to close the position earlier than stated.
- Candidates represented by agencies will not be considered for this position.
- Internal applicants please note it is a requirement that you advise your immediate line manager of the application.
As an employee of CPM, you will be part of a culturally and gender diverse organisation, committed to providing equal opportunities for all staff.
About CITIC Pacific Mining
CPM is the company behind Sino Iron, already Australia’s largest magnetite operation, located on Western Australia’s Pilbara coast. We are spearheading a new downstream processing industry for the nation, transforming magnetite iron ore into a high-grade, premium export product.
Sino Iron is a fully integrated operation – featuring a mine serviced by the biggest haul trucks in the world, a six-line concentrator and port terminal facilities at nearby Cape Preston. Our state-of-the-art power station and desalination plant are among the largest in the State.
Our operations provide career opportunities on a global scale. Being an employee at CITIC Pacific Mining (CPM) will enable you to take advantage of the multiple divisions of the group. CITIC Group, a majority shareholder of CPM, has more than 30,000 employees worldwide and is always looking for talented and exceptional people.
Within CPM, everyone can develop their skills and knowledge, progress in the business and be recognised and rewarded for their contribution. We encourage our people to take the opportunities that are provided to reach their full potential - so they can achieve the best results for themselves, each other, and for CPM.
To learn more about Sino Iron, please visit www.citicpacificmining.com