Job no: 497034SV
Work type: Permanent Fulltime
Location: Cape Preston
About CITIC Pacific Mining (CPM)
CPM is the company behind Sino Iron, already Australia’s largest magnetite operation, located on Western Australia’s Pilbara coast, south of Karratha.
We’re spearheading a new downstream processing industry for the nation, transforming magnetite iron ore into a high-grade, premium export product.
Sino Iron is a fully integrated operation – featuring a mine serviced by the biggest haul trucks in the world, a six-line concentrator and port terminal facilities at nearby Cape Preston. Our state-of-the-art power station and desalination plant are among the largest in the State.
We’re looking for people at the top of their game, who want to become part of Western Australia’s iron ore future.
We have a career opportunity for a Geotechnical Engineer to join our Site based Geotechnical team, to help develop Australia’s largest Magnetite mine. This permanent role is site based on a 9&5 roster, FIFO from Perth. Reporting to the Principal Geotechnical Engineer the primary work responsibilities will include
- Regular geotechnical inspections
- Geotechnical pit mapping and Pit structure analysis
- Keeping the prism monitoring system operating and analysis of prism data
- Conducting geotechnical hazard identification risk assessments, monitor rock deformations
- Geotechnical data collection, diamond core logging, sample collection, testing and interpretation
- Data validation and QA/QC with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Wall depressurization investigations
- Input to blast designs for stable slopes
- Conducting reviews of slope performance focussing on rock mechanics issues and reconciliation between pit design and pit construction
- Contractor management and supervision for geotechnical drilling
- Legislative compliance with the DMIRS health and safety acts
You will be responsible for developing strong professional relationships within the mine operations team, between the mine management, geologist’s, mine planners, mining engineers, drill and blast as well as production personnel.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in Mining Engineering and/or Geotechnical / Geological Engineering
- A minimum of three years’ experience in large open pit mining operations.
- Be familiar with Adam 3D photography & I-Site laser scanning.
- Be familiar with Vulcan Mining and Rocscience Software as well as Acquire Database
- Have experience undertaking geotechnical analysis utilising Rock Mass Classification systems, structure analysis, failure mode analysis and slope stability analysis.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and be able to demonstrate good time management and organisational skills.
Have experience in logging soil and rock conditions as per Australian Standards
The successful applicant must have a strong sense of commitment to the environment and to occupational health and safety, have a willingness to learn and the ability to work successfully in a dynamic, driven team environment.
What we offer
- The chance to work at an innovative, world-class project
- Career progression and training
- As an employee of CPM you’ll be part of a culturally and gender diverse organisation, committed to providing equal opportunities for all staff.
Short listing for this position will commence in early January, however, we do reserve the right to close this position earlier than stated. To enable us to process your application simply click on the 'Apply' button below.
Please note: it is a requirement that all internal applicants advise their immediate line manager of their application.
Candidates represented by agencies will not be considered for this position.
Advertised: W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: W. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend